- 1 Easy roasted zucchini recipe! How to cook zucchini by cutting lengthwise, oven-roasting with olive oil, garlic, black pepper, and Herbes de Provence.
- 2 VIDEO! How to Make Roasted Zucchini with Garlic
- 3 How to Avoid Soggy Zucchini
- 4 Ways to Adapt This Recipe
- 5 What to Serve with Roasted Zucchini
- 6 More Simple Zucchini Recipes
- 7 Roasted Zucchini with Garlic Recipe
Easy roasted zucchini recipe! How to cook zucchini by cutting lengthwise, oven-roasting with olive oil, garlic, black pepper, and Herbes de Provence.
During the summer, our gardens are filled with more zucchini than we know what to do with, and I hunt down all my zucchini recipes. Here is one quick and easy way of preparing zucchini.
I had a variation of this baked zucchini the other night at a friend’s house and was amazed to hear her children exclaim, “Please give me some zucchini. I love zucchini!” Hello? When was the last time you heard that?
VIDEO! How to Make Roasted Zucchini with Garlic
From the editors of Simply Recipes
How to Avoid Soggy Zucchini
This baked zucchini will definitely be soft, but it shouldn’t be soggy. Here’s how to avoid soggy zucchini:
- Roast, don’t bake: A high oven temp of 450°F means the zucchini roasts instead of bakes. That means the zucchini develops a bit of char and is less likely to become soggy.
- Don’t crowd the pan: Make sure there is plenty of space between your spears.
- Flip the spears on their backs: Arrange all the spears skin-side down, so that the triangle part is sticking up. This will help the moisture cook out and evaporate instead of getting trapped against the baking sheet.
- Don’t overcook: Start checking your zucchini after 7 minutes and then keep checking every few minutes. The zucchini is ready when it’s tender, but still has some bite.
Ways to Adapt This Recipe
- Toss the zucchini with a different herb or spice mix, like za’atar seasoning, fresh dill, or fresh basil.
- Toss the warm zucchini with grated Parmesan, feta, or goat cheese.
- Skip the minced garlic and toss the cooked zucchini with roasted garlic instead
- Toss with slivered almonds or pine nuts
- Mix the zucchini with some summer squash
What to Serve with Roasted Zucchini
This zucchini is the perfect side for anything coming off the grill during the summer: grilled chicken, grilled salmon, grilled steaks, you name it. Other times of year, pair this with roast chicken or baked fish.
More Simple Zucchini Recipes
Updated August 1, 2020 : We spiffed up this post to make it sparkle! No changes to the original recipe. Enjoy!
Roasted Zucchini with Garlic Recipe
- 1 pound zucchini, each cut in half across the middle, then each half quartered lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Herbes de Provence or dried thyme, or 1 teaspoon of fresh chopped thyme
1 Preheat oven: Preheat oven to 450°F. Make sure there is a rack on the top rack spot in the oven.
2 Prep the zucchini: Place the zucchini and garlic in a bowl and toss with olive oil.
Spread the zucchini out onto a foil or silicone-lined sheet pan, skin side down. Sprinkle with salt (1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon).
3 Roast zucchini: Roast the zucchini at 450°F for 8-15 minutes, or until it begins to brown. (Start checking at about 7 minutes and keep checking every few minutes.)
4 Toss with herbs, salt, pepper: Once the zucchini has started to brown at the edges, remove it from the oven and place the zucchini in a bowl. Gently mix in the herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. Thank you!
Products We Love
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes.
Read more about our affiliate linking policy.